Monday, December 31, 2007

Home Sweet Home!

We made it back safe and sound! We were supposed to fly into Minneapolis Saturday night, but we missed our connecting flight when we got to New Jersey. Our flight from Guangzhou to Beijing went well then when we got to Beijing, I thought we had a long 3 hour wait to for our flight to New Jersey, but after getting through the string of customs, baggage claim, baggage check, and security our wait was only a half an hour. We sat on the plane in Beijing for almost 2 hours waiting to take off and were a half hour late leaving. Our connecting flight in NJ didn't leave any extra time so when we finally landed 13 hours later in NJ our flight was already boarding. We still needed to get through customs, which Katherine became an instant US Citizen - so cool! - go to baggage claims, and check our baggage again. We missed our flight by a long shot. So they put us up at a Holiday Inn for the night along with $200 in vouchers for food. We were all so tired but we managed to get some snacks with the vouchers. Then we all went to bed and got up very early (3 am for Mike and I). We just couldn't sleep. I wanted to just get home, I'm soooo tired of flying (we had 7 flights in 2 weeks), but we knew we had one more trek. We touched down in Minneapolis at 11:15 am on Sunday morning.

I can't explain in words just how wonderful it is to be home. I wonder when the tired foggy feeling will subside? Katherine seems to like her new home and loves her new bedroom, however, she is terrified of our three dogs. It will take time, I'm sure she will one day love them.

Thank you so much for following our incredible journey to the other side of the world to bring home our daughter. You all have a very special place in our hearts. As we begin a new year, I can't help but be in awe at the wonderful miraculous things that have happened in our lives. We are so blessed and we give all the glory to our loving Heavenly Father. Bless you and your family in the new year ahead - may you find peace, joy, love, and happiness in your journey.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Gelhars. :)

Anonymous said...

WELCOME HOME!! I followed the link to your flight and saw that you had arrived... figured I'd give you a few days before I called, bcse if you're anything like me, you'll be sleeping and waking at odd times! As for that "foggy feeling" again, it took me nearly 2 weeks to really feel back on schedule... and honestly, I *had* to take a sleeping pill for about the last 3 days, bcse I could *not* stop waking up between midnight and 2:00 a.m. with that WIDE awake feeling and unable to sleep until 6 or 7 a.m. I don't know how long it would have taken me to get back on track w/o finally doing that. Praise the Lord, Brian was on Minnesota time the first day! He's been a really great sleeper from the start, just one way that he's been a blessing! :)

Bless you guys, and it's so great to have you home safe and sound, and that Katherine loves her new digs! Let us know when you're ready to receive phone calls and attention! :) Carolynn

Nancy Holte said...

Welcome home! Glad all went well. Sorry about the delay in NJ but at least you were safe (although that can be questionable at certain places in Newark.) I agree with Carolyn. Do the sleeping pill thing to help you get back on schedule. It's always a HUGE help for me.